Phone: (800) 355-1095
All communications are confidential; however, free initial consultations with a military lawyer do not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.
Gary Myers is a former JAG officer and one of the most experienced civilian military defense counsel in the country. He attended the University of Delaware where he received his undergraduate degree in chemical engineering in 1965. Gary Myers served as president of his freshman, sophomore and junior classes and went on in his senior year to be president of the student body.
Gary Myers then attended the Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, and graduated in 1968. Gary Myers paid his way through law school by teaching chemistry and physics and coaching soccer at the Harrisburg Academy. Gary Myers was on the editorial board of the Law Review and was published there as well as in the Journal of the Patent Office Society.
Mr. Myers was named the runner-up outstanding oral advocate in the National Moot Court Competition in 1967 held at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. In 1968, his writing on preventive law earned him the award for the most outstanding law review article in the nation in the field of preventative law.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Myers volunteered during the Vietnam period for service in the Army JAG Corps. He received a direct commission as a captain. Mr. Myers served from 1969 until 1973. He was a defense counsel in the My Lai trials.
Mr. Myers also devoted extensive time to civil rights matters while on active duty in the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Civil Rights. While a judge advocate he lectured at the Naval Academy on civil rights.
Following his military service, Mr. Myers served as an adjunct professor of law at the Georgetown University Law Center from 1974 to 1977 where he taught administrative law and a clinic devoted to discharge upgrades for service members. The clinic was funded by the Ford Foundation and was the first effort by a law school to assist veterans with discharge upgrades.
In 1977 the people of the City of Alexandria, Virginia, elected Gary Myers to the Virginia House of Delegates.
Since 1973, upon discharge from the Army, Gary Myers ha s represented members in all services. Gary Myers's work was memorialized in the book, Dangerous Evidence , Ellis Cohen, published by Berkley, 1995, which later became a made-for-television movie.
More recently Gary Myers was defense counsel in the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse trials and the Marine Corps Haditha trials. His work in the Abu Ghraib case was
memorialized in the book "The Lucifer Effect."
Gary Myers is a member of the Bar of the District of Columbia, Bar Card Number
157115. He is married and is the father of three children.
- "University of Delaware : Chemical Engineering : Alumni News" (PDF). Che.edel.edu. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Law Review Editors and Staff: 1897-2004" (PDF). Pennstatelawreview.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Myers, Gary (1967). "Hays V Brenner: Double Patenting, Obviousness and the Terminal Disclaimer". Journal of the Patent and Trademark Society. 49: 465.
- "Gary R. Myers - Lawyer in Henniker, New Hampshire (NH)". Lawyers.com. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Gary R. Myers". lawyers.com.
- "Digital History". uh.edu.
- "The Famous Little Sting". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- McCarthy, Mary (1972). Medina. New York, NY: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. p. 49. ISBN 9780151585304.
- Mary McCarthy. "Medina". Goodreads.
- Hockstader, Lee (1988-02-20). "CPL. SCOTT FOUND NOT GUILTY IN 2ND COURT-MARTIAL". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Cohen, Ellis (1995). Dangerous Evidence. Berkley Books. ISBN 0425147258.
- "Cpl Lindsey Scott | 'Dangerous Evidence' details case of rape, race and a Marine - tribunedigital-baltimoresun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 1995-06-16. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- jessielorene (12 April 1999). "Dangerous Evidence: The Lori Jackson Story (TV Movie 1999)". IMDb.
- "Torture at Abu Ghraib". The New Yorker. 2004-05-10. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo". Lucifereffect.com. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "CNN.com - Transcripts". cnn.com.
- "Investigator Urges Clearing of Marine in Killings at Haditha Home". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Rules of Engagement - Stories of Service - PBS". Rules of Engagement - Stories of Service - PBS.
- http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/250689/in-defense-of-accused-soldier"49 Journal of the Patent Office Society 1967 Industrial Protection of Preproduction Disclosures". Heinonline.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Virginia Elections Database » 1977 House of Delegates General Election District 21". Historical.elections.virginia.gov. Retrieved 2015-10-30.